Mural by Ellen Van Laar
Last updated: February 1, 2016
44th Annual Sault Summer Arts Festival (Application)
The annual Sault Summer Arts Festival is Tuesday, August 2, on the grounds of the Sault City Hall, 225 East Portage. The application is downloadable from our website—or call Jean Jones at 906-437-5463 for a hard copy (firstname.lastname@example.org). The application deadline is June 1.
Jury is by digital image, which may be e-mailed to email@example.com; Jury may also be by photographs or in hand (at Alberta House)—three images per category—five for jewelers. Work must be the original design of the displaying artist.
The festival space fee is $100 for a 10 x 10 foot site. Festival hours are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Awards include the $300 Olive Craig Best of Show Award, the $150 Painting Award, the $150 Best of Crafts Award, the $75 Judges Award and ten other $50 awards in specific categories.
The festival is sponsored as a public service by the Sault Area Arts Council, based in Alberta House.
Sault Summer Arts Festival
Location: Sault City Hall grounds overlooking Sault waterfront
Date: Tues., Aug. 2, 2016, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Space Fee: Single space -- $100 ($50 for SAAC members of one year or longer.) Double spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis
Jury: Yes, by digital image, CD or e-mail. Photos accepted though not recommended. Local residents may be juried at Alberta House, in hand
Jury deadline: June 1, 2016
Application: Available online at www.saultarts.org, or from the Sault Area Arts Council, Alberta House Arts Center, 217 Ferris Street, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783 (906-635-1312 or 906-437-5463)
Address (sponsor): See above
Awards: $300 Olive Craig Best of Show Award, and other cash prizes and ribbons which are given at the discretion of the judge.
Contact: Jean Jones, 906-437-5463 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call For Entries: North of the 45th, NMU
North of the 45th, the 9th annual Upper Midwest juried exhibition of Northern Michigan University’s Devos Art Museum, is open to all residents of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin living north of the 45th Parallel. Work in all media is welcome and there is no size limitation. All entries must be submitted by creating an account at: devos.slideroom.com. Up to five images may be submitted for the $20 entry fee.
The juror is Michelle Bosak, curator of exhibitions at Kendall College of Art and Design. Cash prizes include $500 for Juror’s Choice and $250 for Audience Choice. Submission deadline is March 14, 2016. Exhibition dates are June 3 to August 7.
Snowfest Makers’ Market
The 2016 Makers’ Market at the Les Cheneaux Snowfest, sponsored by the Les Cheneaux Chamber of Commerce, is Saturday, February 13, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Clark Township Community Center on M-134 in Cedarville (about 500 feet east of the M-129/M-134 intersection). The Booth Fee of $25 includes 1 table, chairs, and continental breakfast. The application deadline is February 10. Contact the Les Cheneaux Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 10, Cedarville, MI 49719, for more information.
The Friends of the Porkies Artists-in-Residence Applications
The Friends of the Porkies invites artists to apply for the 2016 Artists-in-Residence program. The application deadline is March 31. There is far too much detail in the application information to try to repeat it here, but the application can be downloaded and information obtained from the website at http://porkies.org/artist-in-residence/, or by e-mailing AIRP@porkies.org
Art on the Rocks
Art on the Rocks applications have been available since January 1st. The application deadline is March 31st, 2016. The 58th Annual Show will take place on Sat. July 30th & Sun. July 31st, 2016. For more information and an application, see the Marquette Art on the Rocks website at marquetteartontherocks.com
LSSU’S 2nd EUP High School Art Competition
This competition is open to high school students in both the EUP and in Sault, Ontario and carries substantial awards. Eastern UP high schools are allowed to submit 10 pieces for display, but individual high school students are also eligible and may submit 2 pieces. Drop off dates are March 9 & 10. Drop off site is Office 220 in the LSSU Arts Center. The awards are $300 for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd Place.
The Opening Reception is Friday, March 18th, from 6 to 7 p.m. and the awards will be announced there at 6:30 p.m. The show will be in place in the LSSU Art Center Gallery March 14 through 24. Pickup date is March 25th.
Contact Professor Lloyd Eddy (906-635-2593 or email@example.com) with questions or for more information.
Winter hours at the Arts Center Gallery are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, noon to 4 p.m. and Wednesday, noon to 6 p.m.. For questions or tour information, contact Sharon Dorrity at 906-635-2665 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Olive M. Craig Gallery Artist’s Choice: A Juried Exhibit, April 2016 (Application)
$300 Best in Show, $200 2nd Place, $100 3rd Place. New Purchase Awards, sponsored by Central Savings Bank, War Memorial Hospital, and Kevin and Pam Cooper
About the Judge
Jasmina Jovanovic has been the director of the Art Gallery of Algoma in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario since 2011. A native of the former Yugoslavia, Jovanovic worked in conservation and as the director of museum services at the Winnipeg Art Gallery for 19 years before coming to northern Ontario.
The Art Gallery of Algoma is a non-profit, public art gallery. Its mission is to celebrate culture, educate visitors and enrich lives through the visual arts.
Art, says Jovanovic, has made her “a happier person, a person with broader views of the world and of people. Art is an essential part of us being human beings.”
|Cabin of Tom Thompson, oil by Judy Henderson, 2015 Artist’s Choice First Place Award Winner|
2016 Show Schedule
|March 16th||Deadline for artist submissions (via email or delivery of artwork to Alberta House) and entry fee payment. Any entries received after March 16th will not be accepted.|
|March 21st||Artists will be notified if their artwork has been juried into the show by email or phone call.|
|March 29th||Accepted artwork must be delivered to Alberta House by 4 pm.|
|April 1st||Exhibit opens.|
|April 9th||Reception and awards from 1 to 3 pm.|
|April 30th||Exhibit closes.|
|May 3rd to 13th||
Entries may be picked up at Alberta House Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 4 pm. Artwork unclaimed after May 13th will become the property of the Olive M. Craig Gallery unless other arrangements have been made by the artist in advance.
|Sole Mates, graphite by Sean Reilly, 2015 Artist’s Choice Second Place Award Winner|
Artist’s Choice is a juried exhibit open to all artists. All work must be original in composition. No reproductions, patterns, or kits will be accepted. Print-making media must have been hand-pulled by the artist. Two-dimensional artwork must be suitably framed and ready for hanging. Three-dimensional work must be self-supporting and ready to display. All artwork must have been completed within the last two years and not previously exhibited at Alberta House Arts Center.
- Artists may submit up to three works in any media. There are no size limitations, although size may become a consideration in final judging.
- All artwork must be for sale at the price listed on the entry form. The Olive M. Craig Gallery will retain 30% commission on all works sold.
- Artwork must be identified on the reverse side (or on the base of 3D work) with the artist’s name and title of the work. Please indicate which side is the top.
- Artwork may not be removed from the exhibit prior to the closing date.
- The Olive M. Craig Gallery has the right to reject any artwork that does not meet the requirements of the exhibit, is not adequately prepared to hang or display, or may be a hazard to viewers (for example, the work has sharp edges or is unstable).
- The Olive M. Craig Gallery and the Sault Area Arts Council are not responsible for loss, theft, or damage to artwork.
Artists may submit up to 3 pieces for jurying. (Diptychs and triptychs count as one piece.) You may enter by submitting images via email or by delivering your artwork to the Alberta House Arts Center. Entry fee: $25 for up to 3 pieces.
Option 1: Digital Submissions
You may submit up to 2 images for each 2D piece and up to 3 images for each 3D piece that you are entering.
- Each image must be saved as a JPEG file.
- Images can be no longer than 6 inches in any direction, and may be no larger than 300 dpi.
- Label each JPEG file with entry number (1a, 1b, etc. for multiple views), plus the title of the piece. DO NOT include artist’s name in the file or on the image.
- Fill out entry form and scan it.
- Email form and images to email@example.com.
- Mail entry fee with a copy of your entry form to Alberta House (address below). Checks should be made payable to the Olive M. Craig Gallery. This must be received by March 16th.
Option 2: Delivered Submissions
Artists may deliver their submissions, including entry form and fee, to Alberta House by March 16th. Our business hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 11 to 4.
All entry fees and forms must be delivered to: Alberta House Arts Center, attn. Artist’s Choice, 217 Ferris St., Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783.
Artists will be notified of acceptance by email or phone by March 21st. Accepted works must be delivered to Alberta House by 4 pm, March 29th.
Call to Artists: Exhibit Your Work at 1668 Winery and Lockside Brewery
1668 Winery and Lockside Brewery officially welcomes submissions for new month-long art installations, to include First Friday reception events. No commission will be taken on works sold. For further information potential exhibitors can contact (906) 440-8798, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Artists: 5x7 Art Competition and Show Fundraiser (Entry Form)
Please make a small work for us! This is the second year of what we hope will grow into a premier annual event/fundraiser. Your participation makes a real difference! The proceeds from the sale of your generously donated original art will be shared equally for the good works of Rotary, locally and globally, such as third world water projects, youth, and literacy projects and the LSSU Arts Center Gallery for exhibition programming. 5x7 canvases are provided if you so desire and may be picked up at the Alberta House or at the Art Store in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan.
Please print and fill out the form and mail or deliver with each finished piece to the LSSU Arts Center Gallery during hours of operation OR Mail to: Sharon Dorrity, LSSU Foundation, 650 W. Easterday Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
Guidelines for the Exhibition
- 2016 Theme: "Time"
- Work is due no later than Friday, April 8, 2016 and should be dropped off at the LSSU Arts Center Gallery during the week of April 4 -8 (Monday through Friday noon-4pm; Wednesday noon to 6pm or mailed to Sharon Dorrity, LSSU Foundation, 650 W. Easterday Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783 with this completed form
- There is no limit on the number of works an artist can submit
- The artwork must be that of the registered artist
- Artwork must be completed, dry, and free of loose media (i.e., no flaking or rubbing off)
- Artwork should be unframed on a 5 X 7 canvas board provided by the artist or one will be provided upon request for any artist agreeing to donate a piece of art
- Any media is acceptable but the work cannot extend beyond the 5 X 7 sides or protrude more than one inch except for sculptures which must be on a 5 X 7 base and be no more than 7 inches high or wide
- Please do NOT write your name on the front of the work!! Please write on the BACK of the canvas: 1) Artist’s name 2) Title of work 3)medium 4) indicate the top of your work
- The Rotary Club has the right to refuse to display any work it feels is not appropriate
- The three best, as determined by a juried artist panel, will be awarded prizes – Best in Show: $300; 2nd Place $200; Third Place $100 at the preview reception.
- The donated work will become the property of the Rotary Club and will be displayed for sale for one month at the LSSU Arts Center Gallery
- Unsold work may be sold, donated, or returned to the artist at the Rotary Club’s discretion
- The Rotary Club has the right to use images of any work on advertising materials or publications including on digital media
About the Event
- Sunrise Rotary Club has partnered with the Lake Superior State University Arts Center Gallery for the 5 x 7 Art Show Fundraiser. Works of art are requested of artists in all forms of media on a 5 X 7 canvas…think paintings, drawings, fabric, photography and mixed media for the juried show and fundraiser on April 22, 2016 - May 27, 2016 in the Arts Center Art Gallery.
- The official opening of the art show will be on April 22, 2016 in the Arts Center Art Gallery
- The preview reception that includes music, hors d’oeuvres, and cash bar. The reception is from 6:00-8:00 p.m. when those in attendance will have the first opportunity to view and purchase these original works of art for $50.00. The artist’s name will be hidden on all artwork until it is revealed at the end of the show. The three best, as determined by a local panel of artists, will be awarded prizes – Best in Show: $300; 2nd Place $200; Third Place $100 at the preview reception.
For more info including FAQs, see the 5x7 show website at lssu.edu/artscenter/gallery/5x7.php
Do It Yourself Pickford
The Pickford Library is looking for people with skills to share for its “Do It Yourself Pickford” workshops. Workshop topics have varied widely. This month’s topic is “Holiday Crafts”. Previous workshops include growing mushrooms, tying flies, etc. Contact Pickford Library Manager Ann Marie Smith if you have ideas or skills to share: 906-647-1288 or email@example.com.
Sault Area Arts Council Home
217 Ferris Street, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (906) 635-1312